A recipe for making salmon provencale:
- Put a large cut of salmon into a saucepan and cover with salted and acidulated water.
- Add a sliced onion, a carrot, a bunch of parsley, and salt, pepper, sweet herbs, and a pinch of allspice to season.
- Cover the fish with buttered paper and cook slowly for an hour.
- Chop together a small onion, a clove of garlic, and a few sprigs of parsley.
- Fry in olive-oil, add two tablespoonfuls of flour, and cook until the flour is brown.
- Add two cupfuls of brown stock and one cupful of stewed and strained tomato.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly, seasoning with red and white pepper and lemon-juice.
- Remove the skin from the fish, pour the hot sauce over it, and serve.